Contact Us (03) 6397 7303


The Northern Midlands Council is responsible for an overall road network of approximately 421km of sealed road and 413km of unsealed road. This is made up of major urban roads, minor town streets and rural roads. The road network provides access to individual properties and facilitates the general circulation of our communities.

General Information

Who owns the road?

The responsibility for road infrastructure and safety funding is shared between Commonwealth, State and Local Government.

The Department of Infrastructure Energy and Resource (DIER) has responsibility for the provision, management and maintenance of State classified roads. Each local council has the same responsibility for classified local highways in their municipality.

State Roads

Tasmania's State roads are those owned and managed by the State Government through the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER). Vehicles up to the size of tri-axle semi trailers have general access to the whole road network. The Approved Higher Productivity and Higher Mass Limits networks allow movement of vehicles up to the size of B-doubles along most of the important freight routes. This network is administered by the Department of Infrastructure Energy and Resources (DIER).

State roads are classified under the Road Hierarchy categories as either:

  • Category 1 Trunk Roads - the most important roads interconnecting Tasmania
  • Category 2 Regional Freight Roads - Tasmania's major regional roads for carrying heavy freight  
  • Category 3 Regional Access Roads - the main access roads to Tasmania's regions but carry less heavy freight traffic than Regional Freight Roads  
  • Category 4 Feeder Roads - allow safe travel between towns, major tourist destinations and industrial areas  
  • Category 5 Other Roads – the remainder of the State roads.

Roads Maintained by DIER within the Northern Midlands Municipality are:

  • Midland Highway Lake Leake Road –Campbell Town to Municipal Boundary 
  • Esk Main Road – Conara Junction to Municipial Boundary 
  • Leighlands Road – Midland Highway to Evandale Road 
  • Evandale Road – Breadalbane Roundabout to Russell Street Evandale 
  • Breadalbane Roundabout Main Road Perth – Changes from Midland Highway through Perth Township then back to Midland Highway after Township 
  • Youl Road Perth- Illawarra Road to Midland Highway 
  • Drummond Street Perth – Illawarra Road to Main Road Perth Illawarra Road – Youl Road Perth to Bass Highway (Through Longford Roundabout)  
  • Tannery Road Longford – Longford Roundabout to Railway line 
  • Wellington Street Longford – Railway line to Heritage Corner 
  • Marlborough Street Longford – Heritage Corner to Cressy Road Longford 
  • Cressy Road – Cressy Road Longford to Poatina Main Road Junction 
  • Main Street Cressy – Changes from Cressy Road through Township then back to Cressy Road after Township until Poatina Main Road Junction 
  • Poatina Main Road – Cressy Road to Central Highlands Municipal boundary

Local Council Roads and Streets

Each of the Local Government Authorities are responsible for the 'local highways' within its municipality commonly referred to as 'local roads' or 'council roads and streets'. Council is not responsible for unmade roads/streets or private roads. If you are unsure if your road/street is maintained by Council please call the Works and Infrastructure Department on (03) 6397 7303.

Road Reserve and Vehicular / Driveway Crossovers

Only Council registered contractors are permitted to work within a road reserve on council assets.
Public who wish to do driveway or other works in the Council road reserve must now use a contractor from our approved contractor list.

Approved Contractor Register

Concrete driveway works

  • Elite Concrete - 0418585406
  • Crossroads Civil Contracting / Hazell Bros - 63332333
  • Walters Contracting - 63623782
  • Standaloft Concrete - 0418766257
  • P J Concrete and Kerbing – 0417358047
  • B31 Contracting – 0409195075
  • GW Concrete Contractors – 0418362504

Asphalt driveways

  • Northseal - 0437171710
  • Quickseal Asphalting - 0448444550
  • Crossroads Civil Contracting / Hazell Bros - 63332333

Other civil works

  • Crossroads Civil Contracting / Hazell Bros - 63332333
  • Walters Contracting - 63623782
  • Sherriff Civil - 0408135559
  • Gavandy Contracting - 0409122609
  • Quickseal Asphalting - 0448444550
  • Northseal - 0437171710
  • B31 Contracting – 0409195075
  • Gradco - 63370200

Contractors who want approval to be on the Approved Contractors Register please contact Council’s Works Department on 63977303.

What is a Vehicular / Driveway Crossover?

A driveway crossover is the section of the driveway in front of the property front boundary (including any kerb and channel and footpath) that you use to get your vehicle from the road to the driveway within your property. In Tasmania the owner of the property is responsible for providing and looking after the driveway crossover. Council is responsible when damage to the crossing is caused by Council's works or if Council's services need replacing.

Who Constructs the Vehicular / Driveway Crossover?

On public roads the Council sets the standard for constructing and maintaining the crossings. If Council is reconstructing the the whole road or putting in a new footpath the driveway crossings are usually done as part of these works.

Vehicular / Driveway crossings must be constructed by contractors with experience in the construction of kerb and channel and crossovers. Council may require crossovers to be removed if Council is not contacted for an inspection prior to pouring of the crossover. Unless agreed otherwise with the Works & Infrastructure Manager, all driveway aprons must be constructed in concrete. When constructing the crossover please pay particular attention to ensure that the approach and departure angles are suitable for low vehicles.

How do I apply for a Vehicular / Driveway Crossover Permit?

All new and replacement driveway crossovers will need a Council permit - there is no fee, only a procedure to follow. Once your application has been received, our inspector will look at your plan and the site. If something needs to be changed the inspector will call and see you. You will then receive your permit to start work. Most permits for a standard driveway crossover are issued in ten working days.

If the crossover is to be provided for access related to an approved development under a Council Planning Permit the location must be in accordance with the approved plan. Please see the application form for details.

For advice and more information, call the Customer Service Team on (03) 6397 7303.

Vehicle Mass Exemption Permits (Load Limits)

Common rules for maximum dimensions and mass limits for the vehicles and their loads govern the use of vehicles in all Australian states and territories.

For a vehicle to carry a load in Tasmania that exceeds statutory dimension or mass limits, a permit or exemption is required.

How do I get a Load Limit Exemption Permit for a Council Road?

A permit may be by General Exemption Vehicle and Traffic (Vehicle Operations) Notice or by way of a Special Permit issued by the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER).

To request an exemption for a road in the Northen Midlands please send in a written request to Council, PO Box 156, Longford TAS 7301.

Roads within the Northern Midlands Municipality with Load Limits

Temporary load limits may be applied to road at certain times depending on road conditions. Permanent load limits exist on the roads listed below:

Conara Road - 15t Load Limit

Clarence Street Perth - 10t Load Limit

Arthur Street Perth - 10t Load Limit

Logan Road Evandale (last 500m of gravel section) - 15t Load Limit

English Town Road - 5t Load Limit

Roadside Crash Marker Program

The Roadside Crash Marker Program is a road safety initiative that has been operating in Tasmania since 2002. The program has been developed through a partnership between the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER) and participating local government authorities.

What are Roadside Crash Markers?

Roadside crash markers are standard roadside guideposts placed adjacent to where a fatal or serious injury crash has occurred. 

There are two types of Roadside Crash Marker posts: 

Black Markers to identify the location of a fatal crash. These posts have a small red or white reflective cross. Fatality markers will be installed following consultation with next-of-kin family members. 

Red Markers to identify the location of a serious injury crash. These posts have a small red or white reflective dash. Serious injury markers are placed at the request of individuals and next-of-kin family members.

  • Markers will be placed for crashes, which have occurred in the past 3-year period.
  • Markers are only placed where the roadside environment permits (ie where guideposts exist).
  • Markers are designed as a road safety initiative and are not intended to be memorials.
  • For a crash where there is more than one fatality or serious injury, reflective crosses or strips can be applied to the marker post to represent each additional injury or fatality.
  • Markers will be removed after 5 years in order to keep the road safety message current and in recognition that the road environment, driver attitudes and vehicle safety can change over time.
  • Explanatory signs are erected on major roads to inform motorists of the program.

For further information on Roadside Crash Markers and the guidelines for installation please follow this link to the Department of Infrastructure Energy and Resources.

How do I apply to have a marker installed?

People wishing to apply for the installation of a serious injury Crash Marker should contact the Road Safety Operations Branch.

Road Safety Operations Branch
GPO Box 936
Hobart 7001 
Telephone: (03) 6233 5290

Trees & Overhanging Branches

This information is provided as guide to damage caused by trees either on your property or on a neighbour's property, specific situations may vary.  This information provides general information only and is not legal advice and should not be relied on.  If you require specific advice you should seek your own legal advice.

Trees can add a great deal of splendour to a garden. They could be fruit bearing trees, a place in which to retreat to the shade and they can also add a great deal of colour to a garden. However, they can also cause a nuisance to a next door neighbour when they start encroaching onto your side of the fence, with problems ranging from attracting unwanted insects like bees and wasps, blocking out your light and shedding their leaves all over your garden. Therefore, it’s important to know what your rights are and what you can and cannot do.

Overhanging Trees or Shrubs on the Footpath

Many people use our footpaths - postmen, joggers, people with disabilities and the elderly. A clear height above the footpath of 2.5 metres should be allowed, so that people may walk underneath with safety.

As a guide, all foliage and vegetation should be cut back to your boundary fences and should not obstruct street signs or traffic.

What law applies?

There is no legislation that specifically covers damage caused by trees, overhanging branches etc. It's always best to try to come to a negotiated settlement with your neighbour, and/or use some form of mediation.

Establishing Ownership of Trees

The tree belongs to the person upon whose land it has originally grown. Even if its branches or, worse still, its roots have begun to grow over or into a neighbour’s territory, it belongs to the landowner where the tree was originally planted. Even if the tree bears fruit or flowers on branches which overhang into your land, it’s an offence to keep them or to take cuttings of flowers, for example. Obviously, many neighbours will not tend to worry about that too much but should a neighbour, for example, see you collecting apples from their tree even though the branches have grown onto your side, they are legally entitled to ask you to return them.

Overhanging Branches

If the branches of a neighbour’s tree start to grow over to your side, you can cut them back to the boundary point between you and your neighbour’s property, as long as the tree is not under a tree preservation order. If you are unsure you’ll need to seek further clarification from Council. However, the branches and any fruit on them which you may have cut down on your side still belong to the tree owner so they can ask you to return them.

Alternatively, you can return them and ask your neighbour to dispose of them themselves should you wish to do so. What might seem a bit of a strange anomaly, however, is that even though any leaves from your neighbour’s tree may fall into your garden in autumn, you have no right to ask them to come around and sweep them up.

On the other hand, should these leaves blow into any of your gutters and block your drains, you can ask your neighbour to pay to have them cleared or to pay for the cost of any damage they might have caused. If they refuse to do so, you can legally sue them and force them into paying. If you lop off any branches on your neighbour’s (the tree owner) side of the fence, you are not entitled to gain access to their property to cut off some more. This is trespassing and you could be prosecuted.

Falling branches

Trees are affected by the natural environment and they will, randomly and inexplicabley, shed branches, fall over, drop foliage or their roots can affect underground structures. A number of gum trees are renowned for dropping branches. If a branch falls off your neighbour's tree and damages your property, you may be entitled to compensation if there is evidence that the owner of the tree has been negligent in its maintenance, or knows of a specific problem with a tree and has failed to rectify it, and due to that problem the tree causes damage.

If this happens, get legal advice.

If you believe your neighbour's tree is likely to damage your property, it's best to discuss this with your neighbour. If they refuse to do anything about it you may be able to take action to prevent any potential damage, please seek legal advice.

Blocked View

You may find that a neighbour's tree blocks a view or casts an unwanted shadow onto your property. What can you do? Check with Council's Planning Department, and it might be worth trying mediation - but you might have to accept that there is no real remedy.

Blocked Drains and Pipes

Get in touch with your plumber to see if they can analyse where the blockage is coming from, if proven to come from your neighbours tree you should then ask the neighbour to pay for the damage to your pipe or drain. If they refuse, before you get involved in legal action, it would be a good idea to convince your neighbour to try mediation.

Otherwise the laws of nuisance or negligence may allow you to claim compensation, but you should first seek legal advice.

Footpaths and Nature Strips


Council inspects its footpaths every year, the inspection program identifies hazards, such as uneven footpaths, damaged signs, potholes and trees overhanging the footpath.

These hazards are attended to as soon as possible to ensure safe pedestrian access. If you wish to report a footpath hazard please use our customer request form here.

Nature Strips

Nature strips add value, amenity and ambience to towns. Nature strips also provide an important corridor for the provision of underground services. The maintenance of nature strips has long been regarded the 'civic duty' of the residents of the Northern Midlands which assumes residents occupying adjacent property will maintain nature strips.Council encourages all residents maintain their nature strips as part of their front lawn.

Roadsides in rural areas are the responsibility of Council. Council has a maintenance program for the slashing of rural roadsides, this is carried out by Council's contractor. Trimming of hedges is carried out in winter and slashing of Council maintained roadsides is carried out from November to January.